Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Movie and Chinese new year

On the way back to China for chinese new year, I have watched a few movies on the planes.
United airlines' screen is not great, neither is the movie selection, i managed to watch half of Robert Redford's ordinary people
The flight from Frankfurt to Qingdao on Lufthansa has higher resolution screen, I watched The eternal sunsine of spotless mind, Erase the memory... sigh
Dallas buyer's club: interesting topic but very so-so
Hitchcock: Well it is always good to know that Hitchcock has to pay his own money to make psycho...One of the few talented filmmakers in history
Cafe Society: never a woody allen fan. It is decent acting, dialog, per si. But I will remember the ending of the movie at this very moment of my life. 

Now I am in China watching movie from blibli
watched Graduate  by Cristian Mungiu
Well before I realized it is his movie, I thought it was a first work of a director - because sometimes they put very stiff lines in the dialogue - i.e. protagonist and police chair about other side's view is better...
It won best director in Cannes 2016
I was impressed: using hand held camera and still very careful/thoughtful in framing, I also like the face to face framing a lot
The stones broke the window etc - reminds me Michael Haneke - who is nowadays the best director of the world, although imho, still way behind of antonioni fellini bergman
I like that it is a critic of CONTEMPORARY romanian society
There are many un-resolved issues in the movie - i guess this is the style now - again reminds me the white ribbon from Haneke - but there are so many and I am not sure if it is necessary

I also finished reading Huxley's Brave new world revisited
The novel is predicting what could happen in the future of the world
a very worrying opinion, now when looking back after more than half a century passed, things are not as bad as he predicted; In another words, in his prediction, the cause of his worries has happened, but the consequence is not that serious yet - maybe human beings already evoluted?
his chapters aka worries are:


I Over-Population
II Quantity, Quality, Morality
III Over-Organization
IV Propaganda in a Democratic Society V Propaganda Under a Dictatorship
VI The Arts of Selling
VII Brainwashing
VIII Chemical Persuasion
IX Subconscious Persuasion
X Hypnopaedia
XI Education for Freedom
XII What Can Be Done? 



No comments: