Monday, February 20, 2017

Movies and first week in Lima

Revisiting Lima - an epic 48 hour trip. Leaving qingdao - SFO directly, 6 hours layover, SFO-LAX, 6 hour layover, meeting George, LAX-MEX, 6 hour layover, MEX-LIMA.

Now I got over the jetlag but the jetlag was strange - I didn't have that common deep sleep - the one that you woke up and had no idea where you are... All sleep is very shallow, too shallow to feel that I SLEPT. It might due to Mom's sickness stress + my impulsive cough from my cold and maybe smog + jetlag. I started taking half a pill of sleeping medicine for two nights.

Watched two movies this week.

Aleksandr Sokurov's Mother and Son (1997): 

His portrait of Mom and son is more or less like a couple/lover, which is fine with me. And the most impressive film language are:
1. Character(s) not necessarily in the middle/or 0.618 of the frame - constantly at the edge of the frame even if they look awkward, slightly reminding me Ida
2. twist the character to look like the landscape - i.e. in the wide shot of protagonist and the landscape that is filled with a few cypress/pine trees, the shape of cypress was bending towards one direction due to long time wind, the protagonist is bending to this direction as well (not sure from lens or from post production)
3. make full use of framing, half/half, i.e. after mother is dead, son's hand with mother's hand

Dorota Kedzierzawska's Wrony (Crow) (1994)
Reminded me Rosellini's German Year Zero (1948), Bresson's Mochette (1967) and Carlos Saura's Cria cuervos (1976)...
After I talked to George, it also reminded us Truffaut's The 400 Blows (1959) , Dardenne brother's Rosetta (1999), and Ken Loach's Kes (1969).
These are all classics.
One of impressive film language use is sihouette - the girl's two skinny legs in sihouette are so thin and fragile.
The great two actresses - maybe I shouldn't call them actress, maybe they are themselves.





No comments: