Monday, December 18, 2006

Parents visiting

My parents got the Visas to come visiting me in the U.S! It has been a long battle - definitely worth writing down the date they got the visas 07/26/2006.

I booked the tickets for them from Beijing to Los Angeles. George and I planned to drive from Denver to Las Vegas, then to L.A. to pick them up. On the way there, we stopped at Bryce Canyon, a park I plan to visit for long time, and Cedar Breaks National Monument.

Bryce Canyon National Park
Cedar Breaks National Monument

After few hours' waiting, I finally saw my Dad and Mom coming out of the terminal.
In the following 8 days, we visited Hollywood, L.A., San Francisco, Las Vegas - four big cities and Yosemite, Death Valley, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef - 5 National Parks! WOO!

Venice Beach, CA
Fisherman's Wharf, SF
Yosemite NP, CA
Death Valley NP, CA
Zion NP, UT

My parents had a good time during their stay in the U.S. Although there was a problem flying from Denver back to Qingdao (3 flights, 2 delays, 4 and 9 hours each, the first delay could make them miss the flight from L.A. to Beijing), they are happy they came here to see us. My Dad enjoyed very much the cities and the parks while my Mom enjoyed cooking for us everyday. They both loved the internet Chinese TV I set up for them. They were afraid of going out to dine and buying clothes, since they seem too expensive!

In some aspects, my parents are among the most progressive parents in this world. Having been worried with my personal relationship for long, they have been very supportive without any hesitation after I came out. They suffered in their lives from so many different things: Anti-Japanese war, Civil war, The Great Leap, Culture Revolution. They enjoyed the opening of the country after 1978 and witnessed the economical improvement of the country as well as different mind changes of people. They experienced all the dramatic changes of China last century which rarely had happened in any country in such a short period of time. I wish they could stay longer and I hope they would come visit again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

幸福的父母和幸福的儿子.